Event Suggestions (was RE: news feeds)

McGlinchy, Alistair Alistair.McGlinchy at marks-and-spencer.com
Wed Feb 8 14:35:24 GMT 2006

Hi Greg

> If its not to private I'd love a talk on how M&S use Perl. I
> don't care if its boring from a technical point as long as I
> can see how Perl is used on a day to day basis I'm
> interested, nothing sensitive just an idea of what size of
> databases you might use with DBI, or how many hits you manage
> with mod_perl or any victories where Perl solved a difficult
> problem for other languages within a short time span.

There's not a lot to tell here, no DBI or mod_perl to speak of sorry.
Most of our apps run on Win2K[3]/IIS/SQL Server. The use of Perl is
limited to network management and monitoring with a very tiny bit of
systems management on some unix boxes.

My own Perl use has grown out of developing MRTG, Netflow and ad-hoc
collection tools.  I could potentially give a talk on network monitoring
rather than the Net::SNMP talk I suggested but I'm not sure that that
M&S-specific aspects of this would be particularly interesting.

Registered Office:
Marks and Spencer plc
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670