Are apostrophes valid in an email address?

john_oshea@wordbank.com john_oshea at wordbank.com
Wed Feb 15 16:00:29 GMT 2006

On 15 Feb 2006, at 15:09, Phil Pennock wrote:

> On 2006-02-15 at 09:49 -0500, IvorW wrote:
>> paddy.o'hagan at foobar.org
>
>> Who's right?
>
> The apostrophe is fine.

FWIW, the real (poorly-written) world appears to be nowhere near RFC-
compliance, especially on anything web-related. I gave up using the
apostrophe in my email address some years back as it just wasn't
worth the effort attempting to communicate with clueless nitwits. One
semi-unexpected benefit is that I check for certain classes of SQL
injection attacks pretty much out of habit...  ;-)

--
John O'Shea
Wordbank Limited