Are apostrophes valid in an email address?

Phil Pennock phil.pennock at globnix.org
Wed Feb 15 16:34:09 GMT 2006

On 2006-02-15 at 16:00 +0000, john_oshea at wordbank.com wrote:
> FWIW, the real (poorly-written) world appears to be nowhere near RFC-
> compliance, especially on anything web-related. I gave up using the
> apostrophe in my email address some years back as it just wasn't
> worth the effort attempting to communicate with clueless nitwits.

Keep two but use the apostrophe when posting to well-run lists which
have web archives, to limit the amount of spam you get to list
addresses?

Oh, and the previously stated rules don't hold if the SMTP server
advertises IEmail as an EHLO capability, in which case
draft-yao-ima-smtpext-01.txt applies and you're part-way towards a shiny
new homoglyphic-attackable email infrastructure.  UTF-8 with the only
restriction being that those valid 0x00-0x7f characters which are
already forbidden in atext are also forbidden in the New World Order.
You also get protocol-level alternative addresses.

A starting point for those interested is
  draft-klensin-ima-framework-00.txt
  Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email
Available as always from your friendly neighbourhood internic standards
mirror.
--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.