Are apostrophes valid in an email address?

Lusercop `the.lusercop' at lusercop.net
Wed Feb 15 16:52:26 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:34:09PM +0100, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2006-02-15 at 16:00 +0000, john_oshea at wordbank.com wrote:
>> FWIW, the real (poorly-written) world appears to be nowhere near RFC-
>> compliance, especially on anything web-related. I gave up using the
>> apostrophe in my email address some years back as it just wasn't
>> worth the effort attempting to communicate with clueless nitwits.
> Keep two but use the apostrophe when posting to well-run lists which
> have web archives, to limit the amount of spam you get to list
> addresses?

This tactic unfortunately doesn't work. Spammers are, it seems, the only
web programmers to read the RFCs properly and work out what are and aren't
legal email addresses. (If Ivor had looked back in the list archives, he'd
have found the address that I use above, which contains both a ` and a ',
and would appear to work). I have enough trouble using "+" as a separator
for clueless web forms.

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002