Young Whisky

McGlinchy, Alistair Alistair.McGlinchy at marks-and-spencer.com
Fri Feb 17 15:36:31 GMT 2006

So I went to $distillery in Scotland last weekend. During the tour, the
guide said the reason that whisky was not normally aged in barrels unlit
1915 or so. A minimum aging of 3 years was brought in by the British
government during WW1 to reduce the supply of whisky during the war with
the hope of allowing the good folks of Scotland to focus on the war
effort.

Given that the barrels add so much to the flavour of whisky, what does
whisky aged less than 3 years actually taste like?  I'm imagining
something closer to vodka.

It seems odd to have venerable industry of old pushing liquor unlike how
the venerable industry of old used to make it.   Cf. Vodka, Sherry, Wine
and some beers which are similar to 100 years ago.

Cheers

Alistair

Registered Office:
Marks and Spencer plc
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

<<www.marksandspencer.com>>

2005