Young Whisky

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:16:06 GMT 2006

On 20/02/06, IvorW <combobulus at xemaps.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know why UK breweries seem incapable of decent
> > distribution?
>
> This is because a cartel of beer wholesalers control the distribution. If you want to collect
> small orders directly from the brewery, they're usually quite obliging.

The distribution cartels meant that at one point it was cheaper for us
(a brewery tied pub) to get spirits and even some beers from the cash
and carry and individually than in bulk from the distributor/brewery
(tetley-carlsberg). Of course the brewery and distributor wouldn't be
very happy if they caught you, but I'll bet most tied pubs have had to
do it if they want to do a special offer, or even to break even.

A.