[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Lusercop `the.lusercop' at lusercop.net
Wed Feb 22 12:07:55 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:52:44AM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Peter Hickman <peter at semantico.com> wrote:
>> A little worrisome this, I couldn't tell you the difference between local
>> and my, I could probably muddle through our. I do know closures but what's
>> a stash? I would like to think that I am at least competent after all
>> these years but it sounds like I would probably fail.
> Knowing the difference between local and my is kind of important. I'd say
> that somebody who didn't know this basic stuff was not competent.

If you want to hire a language hacker, then a full understanding of local
is an appropriate requirement. If, on the other hand, you want a software
engineer, then a candidate knowing that local exists and that it's almost
always the wrong answer is still in the running. As I said elsewhere in
this thread. (and given that you can simulate the effects of local with a
more explicit set of mys, in a much clearer way, then this is also true).

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002