[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 13:14:36 GMT 2006

Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:52:44AM +0000, Peter Corlett said:
>> Knowing the difference between local and my is kind of important. I'd say
>> that somebody who didn't know this basic stuff was not competent.

> That's a hugely sweeping statement - as was pointed out some people may
> just never have come across local() but may know way more about, say,
> Formats than you. Or XS. Or regexen.

OK, I'll rephrase. They need to know that my exists, that they should use
it, and that local is legacy cruft that hangs around because it's needed for
compatibility and some cute hacks. Basically, that they've read and
remembered the man page and/or FAQ you mention later.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key