[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Lusercop `the.lusercop' at lusercop.net
Thu Feb 23 11:36:31 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:23:57AM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Lusercop <`the.lusercop'@lusercop.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > I'm not trolling. I really think that writing subs that pretend to be map
> > and grep or similar is not a way to, in general, write maintainable
> > code...
> Python and Java are that way --->

What a good reputation to give Perl. Some of us work hard to rebut the
reputation that Perl looks like linenoise. Some others seem to want to
constantly undermine it. You and Andy are doing a very good job of the
latter!

> Perl is not always elegant, and it may have mantraps in dusty corners, but
> it usually gets the job done and it often does a good job if treated with
> respect.

Yes, agreed. And if you avoid the mantraps, then you're more of a software
engineer than a language hacker, neatly bringing us back to where we started
the thread.... (go back and re-read my first post in it)

> Avoiding idiomatic Perl because you can't understand it, or have such a low
> opinion of Perl programmers and think they can't understand it, is doing
> everybody an injustice.

Agreed. I don't think these things are idiomatic perl, however, which is
perhaps where we differ.

I don't think writing subs that pretend to be map and or grep is in general
a good idea in production code. I'm also pointing out that in some cases,
where you do the localisation may well be several layers above where you
are working, especially after some refactoring, and therefore it may not
always be immediately obvious to the maintainer that the variable is being
localised properly, in which case it's better to have avoided the global in
the first place!

I'm surprised you're calling me a luser for having a somewhat conservative
attitude to writing maintainable code. Feel free, however. I think that
reflects more on you than it does on me.

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002