Books & Audiobooks (was [JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer)

Chris Benson chrisb at jesmond.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 13:08:34 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:19:31PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:

> One of my planned projects, awaiting me moving somewhere with better
> Freeview reception than here, is to record R3/R4/R7 off-air at high quality,
> combine with publicly-available schedule data and present the results to me
> as a podcast feed.

Something that might be worth looking at is www.slimdevices.com's
SlimServer with the AlienBBC plugin.  They do v.nice hardware but the
SlimServer is useful in it's own right.

The AlienBBC plugin can handle getting of audio feeds from the Beeb (and
other places), what it does with them is controlled by a text
configuration file.

I'm planning (sometime) on diverting some of the output to files instead
of real or virtual Squeezeboxes ...

> The BBC's Realplayer and podcast feeds are very poor quality and quite
> tiring to listen to, as well as not providing 100% coverage.

But it getting what's available from Listen Again etc.

There's another plugin that can get input from a Psion? DAB device.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginsAudio
--
Chris Benson