Books & Audiobooks (was [JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer)

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Thu Feb 23 17:38:48 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:19:31PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> One of my planned projects, awaiting me moving somewhere with better
> Freeview reception than here, is to record R3/R4/R7 off-air at high quality,
> combine with publicly-available schedule data and present the results to me
> as a podcast feed.

I became a reluctant convert to Radio 3 as of about a week ago, when
one or several badly tuned local pirates[*] managed to make the rest
of the FM band unlistenable in my flat.  Now their transmitters are
drifting to encroach on this last remaining Reithian outpost (which in
the meantime I've grown to actually quite like).

So I started thinking about DAB until I heard about the quality.
DVB-T, you say?  Am I going to get hassled for not paying a TV licence
fee?  Assume that I don't own or watch a TV, and don't intend to be
viewing anything, er, televisual, on DVB either.  The pictures are
better on radio anyway

-dan

[*] honestly, I have no problem with unlicensed transmissions in
the /gaps/, but when they take out the Today programme I become
markedly less sympathetic.