units (Re: DAB [was Re: Books & Audiobooks (was [JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer)])

James Mastros james at mastros.biz
Sat Feb 25 20:19:21 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 09:28 +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> [Modems] do seem to be about the only piece of kit that has stayed on cards
> rather than migrating to the mainboard. I liked cards. You could buy the
> kit you wanted for a particular job, and not end up with a bunch of
> extra features you weren't going to use.
That's because they're almost the only bit of hardware that has to vary
depending on juristiction -- everything else in a computer, with the
execption of the power cable, they build the same everywhere, or at most
in two versions (PAL or NTSC, 120 or 240 V, 50 or 60 Hz).   You'll
notice that power chords are often seperate parts as well.

	-=- James Mastros