units (Re: DAB [was Re: Books & Audiobooks (was [JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer)])

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Sat Feb 25 09:28:58 GMT 2006

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 12:42:45AM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:

>I thought torrents and downloading iso's[0] were the only reason people
>wanted fast DSL?

Nah, that's the only reason those evil pirating SOBs want _unmetered_
DSL. The gall of it, buying a 2 megabit connection and then expecting to
be able to use it at 2 megabits! _Real_ customers don't want that.

See
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEupyAZEFlqGoPbIXN
.

>Mind you this is just as true for winmodems - and they are JUST as dangerous. I
>have had to explain to family members why they should NOT
>connect up the 'phone' socket on thier computer to thier phone line.
>It seems that people feel that because the socket is there, they should
>stick something in it - IMHO a good reason to remove winmodem cards from
>most if not all machines.

They do seem to be about the only piece of kit that has stayed on cards
rather than migrating to the mainboard. I liked cards. You could buy the
kit you wanted for a particular job, and not end up with a bunch of
extra features you weren't going to use.