AppArmor Presentation - TONIGHT!

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Tue Feb 28 12:48:41 GMT 2006

Title: AppArmor Application Security

Abstract:
The core of the security problem is that most software contains latent
bugs, and many of these bug can be exploited by attackers to cause the
software to do something undesirable to the victim's computer. To block
this threat, one can either use only perfect software (of which there is
a shortage :) or use a security system to control what software may and
may not do. The problem is that such systems are historically very
difficult to use.

For the last 7 years, Linux users have had a choice between open source
systems such as SELinux, and the proprietary and expensive AppArmor
system. Most users have chosen instead to do nothing at all, despite the
rising tide of security threats against increasingly complex and
vulnerable software. We conjecture that this is because Linux users want
an open source solution, but have found SELinux to be too difficult to
use in practice. Now that the AppArmor system has been open sourced by
Novell, Linux users have a real choice.

In this talk, we will describe the AppArmor security system, and show
how to use it to protect Linux systems. We will demonstrate using
AppArmor to create security profiles for real and complex server and
client applications such as Apache and Gaim.

Tonights venue is the Fotango Office in Old Street:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=EC1V+3QR
http://www.fotango.com/about/contact_us

The office will be open from about 18:45 and the talk should start about
19:00 and end around 20:00. After which we'll head to the pub. You don't
need to register as we've got the minimum number of people we needed.

See some of you tonight.

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson		http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand