Virgin.net scam

Paul Orrock paulo at digitalcraftsmen.net
Tue Feb 28 18:36:28 GMT 2006

Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 05:35:59PM +0000, Paul Orrock wrote:
>>I'm just curious, what have Zen done to annoy people ?
>
> http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEupyAZEFlqGoPbIXN

I'm obviously missing the point here. I can stick with my existing package which gives me true unlimited download with no FUP at £24.99 or I can *choose* to go for an 8Mbs package which gives a 20Gb download policy for the same price.

I can't see how that's weaselly, especially as they clearly state that in the press release. I think the important thing to note is that "the trial proved it is not commercially viable to offer unlimited usage with download speeds of up to 8Mbps". Zen are in business to make money and are being perfectly clear about why they are capping these offerings for the first time.

It does annoy me when people who do filesharing and torrenting etc and use tens of gigs every month expect to pay the same as people who only download 15Gb a month. It's like person A driving 1000 miles a week and person B driving 10 miles a week and yet person A is annoyed they have to pay more in petrol and maintenance.

Pay for what you use, people ! Broadband is a privilege, not a right.

Oh and they have a no penalty cancellation policy with no minimum contract, unlike virgin and others. As with everything, you pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

/me runs away.