amazon quits sluff because the peeps canna talk propa

Rev Simon Rumble simon at
Sun Mar 5 15:32:32 GMT 2006

This one time, at band camp, Randy J. Ray wrote:

> Heh... reminds me of a fairly-recent story in which a Japanese automaker
> (Toyota, I think) pulled out of plans to locate a plant in Mississippi and
> place it in Canada, instead. The reason? Several other makers (I think one was
> Honda) warned them that the workforce there was so badly-educated, they had had
> to translate much of their training manuals into pictorials.

That's the usual bollocks that goes around.  Almost certainly the real
reason they chose Canada was tax breaks, free stuff given by the
province, that kind of thing.  Car manufacturers do this all the time
all around the world.  Even when they've chosen a place and built the
factory, they regularly threaten to move offshore or interstate unless
their tax breaks are topped up.  Because they employ large numbers, they
get away with it.

I suspect this would be the real reason for Amazon's move too.  After
all, the only reason they're having trouble recruiting people with
language skills is likely to be their location in Sloff, and their new
location in some godawful Cork industrial estate isn't going to improve

Rev Simon Rumble <simon at>

The Tourist Engineer
Because geeks travel too.

"Dans ce pays ci, c'est bon, de temps en temps, de tuer
 un amiral pour encourager les autres"
- Voltaire