amazon quits sluff because the peeps canna talk propa

candace candace at epistolary.net
Mon Mar 6 08:35:23 GMT 2006

On 5 Mar 2006, at 23:19, Chris Devers wrote:

> In any event, the fact remains that the education system in Alabama
> DOES
> consistently rate as among the worst in the country, along with
> neighbors like Mississippi and Arkansas.

I don't think I or anyone else was claiming to the contrary.  I was
merely refuting the largely-unsubstantiated anecdote about an
illiterate workforce in Mississippi and Alabama.  Claiming that people
can read isn't claiming very much about the education system.  Having
grown up in a Mississippi public education system, I would be the last
to claim it is anything it's not.

However, the entire US education system is pretty much rubbish which
can be seen from looking at global statistics, so Alabama being 47th is
about like being the 47th grey dingy holey pair of y-fronts in the back
of the drawer of pants anyway.  I won't even go into the problems that,
say, California is having with its high school graduation requirements
(like, speaking English and basic algebra).

Anyway, this was about Slough, and the point was that tax incentives
count more than education when it comes to business and that's why
Amazon is going to Ireland, a point which I think has been made now.

candace
proud to have grown up in Mississippi,
but even prouder to have left. the entire country.