Request for Experiences - Dell Inspiron 630M

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Mar 25 15:49:13 GMT 2006

Simon Wistow wrote:
> - the one I'm looking at has a 1.7GhZ Pentium M. I've never used a
>   Pentium M before ... are they ridiculously anaemic?

Pentium M was substantially faster than an equal speed mobile P4 when it first
came out. Dunno what Intel have done with the P4 since though.

> - is 512Mb of RAM too little for it?

Nah.

> - what's the battery life like? Both as in "how long can it last between
>   charges?" and "do you need a new battery after a year because it
>   doesn't even hold enough charge to boot wihtout mains like certain
>   other brands *cough* Vaios* cough*"

Pentium M based kit usually has pretty good between-charges battery life.

I'd still get a Thinkpad though, you can get a reasonable one for fairly
little money now (especially a Celeron M, which still seems to be reasonably
nippy - we have a few of those used by staff who're on the road a lot) and
they're nigh-on indestructable. Can't tell you what IBM's service/repair stuff
is like because I've never needed it.