Request for Experiences - Dell Inspiron 630M

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 15:37:49 BST 2006

On 25/03/06, Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:
> I'm in the market for a cheap laptop and I've been looking at the Dell
> Inspiron 630M and I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with
> them. Specifically:
> plus any general comments about Dell and/or suggestions for other good
> circa 500 quid laptops would be appreciated.

I bought a HP/Compaq nx6110 about 18  months ago and the battery life
is still about 2.5 to 3.25 hours, it also works very nicely with
fedora core 3, including wifi (using ndiswrapper), the memory was a
little skimpy : 256 is too little but 512 would make for a real nicer
goer. Also it's black, none of pansy pastel shading you get with
apples, or dull blue/grey you get with tosh/dell/etc.

Anyway, both my wifes and my laptops (both HP) have worked without
problem for close to 2 years, and both were around the 500 quid mark.

I have to say I would be gutted to move to a different laptop after
this one as it's slim, looks nice and is very comfortable to use, the
only thing missing is the ability to software suspend from linux -
it's possible but I can't be bothered to play with it.

cheers,

A.