What TPF should do

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Mon Apr 3 17:50:40 BST 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 11:29:58AM -0500, Andy Lester said:
> I'm completely serious.

I was hoping for less faeces flinging than this to be honest - more fool
I, I suppose.

We did actually do a press release for Perl 5.8.0 and I was actually
starting to think up salient points for a 5.10.0 in the shower this
morning which was actually one of the things that led me to send that
earlier, fateful mail.

I should point out that, whatever you think, the TPF does a good job
under difficult circumstances. One of Perl's strengths has always been
its enthusiastic user community but the communities need (it could be
argued, some people may disagree) with the needs of business.

This is a thankless task done by volunteers.

On the other, other hand I'm very interested with people who wouldn't
normally consider themselves part of "The Community". No offense to any
of the previous contributors to this thread but you're hardly what I
called The Silent Majority.  None of your views were particularly
surprising so that thread was, for all intents and purpose, worthless.

One of the things that interested me was the inherent 'limitations' of
having TPF based in the States. Not to say that there aren't advantages
but, not being a lawyer, I was curious to know if there would be an
advtange to setting it up somewhere else in the world. As a
non-American I was also curious to see if that would dismay the Yanks
amongst other.

Simon