"If only someone would make... [a very good wiki]"

Tim Sweetman ti at lemonia.org
Mon Apr 3 17:58:11 BST 2006

"The Wikipedia's most exciting aspect is that it's a highly interlinked
hypertext. Most of the time, if you visit for one article, you end up
reading five, because the richness of associative links lead you to more
and more interesting information that you didn't even know you wanted.
Sadly, the Web has generally lost its foundation as hypertext, and most
sites offer only heavily regimented navigation that's tied into an
official information architecture. Usually, there's little in the way of
associative, "see also" links and local navigation. Wikipedia shows the
benefits of reverting to the view of websites as hypertexts.

Now, if only someone would make a Wiki solution with *great usability*
that *average people* could use to author strongly interlinked
*hypertexts*. That would be something worth almost *any level of hype*.
The way to knock out Microsoft Office is not to reimplement its feature
set from two versions ago in a different programming language. We don't
need bad copies -- we need collaborative authoring of hyperspaces as
opposed to linear documents".
-- Jakob Nielsen, http://www.useit.com/alertbox/hype.html, 2006/04/03