[OT] Linux-worthy laptop recommendations

Matt Follett matt.follett at gmail.com
Wed May 3 21:15:18 BST 2006

If you are going to get a Mac then I would recommend getting a MB Pro
over a PowerBook.  I have a PowerBook right now and I can't use the
official Linux ATI drivers because they don't have a PPC build, nor
can I find PPC builds of Sun's Java or Macromedia Flash.  Also, for
some reason the function key on the lower left and the power button
on the upper right do not seem to send an event when pressed (at
least, according to xev), which is kind of annoying.  The Airport
Extreme uses the broadcom chipset which, to use under linux requires
using a firmware extraction tool and getting the firmware from an OS
X driver or Windows driver.  Finally, the onboard sound on the
aluminum 15" is all sorts of trouble to get working under FC5 (your
results may vary on that one, and if you have gotten it configured,
shoot me an email :) ).

If you know none of that stuff will ever be a concern then go for
it.  Or, if you think I'm wrong send me an email as to where to find
this stuff, that would be great :).

In an attempt to be somewhat balanced I will say a few nice things
about it.  The screen brightness controls were recognized under FC5
just fine and I could set Gnome up to brighten/darken the screen with
the brightness buttons.  Gnome had no problem capturing an event from
the eject key, so I could eject disks.  Also, the open source driver
for the touchpad (called appletouch I think) has the ability to
recognize one, two, and three fingers on the pad and uses that for
left, middle, and right click if you don't mind configuring it to do
so.  The internal bluetooth module is recognized off the bat with
FC5.  Also, FC5 will scale the processor up and down between two
settings (full speed, half speed) depending on load without any
special configuration.

thanks,
Matt