The Truthiness About George W. Bush

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Thu May 4 13:20:18 BST 2006

james at mastros.biz wrote:

> It would seem that the obvious response is to remove their logo -- very easy
> with any sort of manual editing -- just black out that corner, and then
> watch the video to remove anywhere else it shows up (which happens rarely,
> or at least did the last time I watched it).
>
> Reading that article, I don't think they have a leg to stand on if you do
> that, at least for the majority of the time when they're just broadcasting
> speaches people make anyway from fixed camera positions.

I believe that WIPO debated this issue last year with a view to
introducing legislation that gave broadcasters (including webcasters)
rights over their broadcasts that didn't exist before.

I'm not intimately familiar with the issue but as it was explained to me
under the proposed legislation; if the BBC made a broadcast of a speech
by Tony Blair and it was arranged that the BBC's broadcast was
effectively the only record of the speech then his words would have
effectively been removed from the public domain.

James