ora owns web2.0 - and will sue your ass if you try to use it

the hatter london.pm at bang.meep.org
Sun May 28 11:49:12 BST 2006

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Jonathan Stowe wrote:

> And there I was thinking that "Web 2.0" was coined by O'Reilly with a
> view to selling more tickets to conferences in a flagging and saturated
> market, how silly of me when it was an "open standard" all the while...

That's how I heard it, too.  Did we not have a discussion on this list not
so many days ago about naming a not particularly complicated use of
technology, with a view to getting it recognised by manglers as something
worthwhile to use ?  As I heard it from bruce sterling, tim has a knack
for naming things, and the sort of marketting that works for geeky things.
I know from my own experiences that naming and branding are powerful
tools, especially in situations where people aren't used to finding it.

the hatter