[OT]: bash or any other $favourite{shell}? [was: Wish list]

Bob Walker bob at randomness.org.uk
Fri Jun 9 08:09:45 BST 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Luis Motta Campos wrote:

> Bob Walker wrote:
>> no, no, no. its bad enough that linux weenies when writing code assume
>> that /bin/sh is bash. before 10 doing so would be really bad. in 10 you
>> may be able to get away with it. they even say you can  make root shell
>> bash if you really want.
>
>  Sorry, but I'm puzzled: what's the problem with bash? Despite the
> convenient syntax sugar from $favourite{shell}, isn't it as good as any
> other shell?

nowt wrong with bash. its my shell of choice. however /bin/sh is not
always bash like. thats a linuxism. if you meant /bin/bash use /bin/bash
as your #! dont assume /bin/sh is /bin/bash
although of course it gets even better on openbsd where since bash isnt
there by default it ends up in /usr/local/bin but i love the pain so thats
okay. why else would my laptop operating systems currently be openbsd and
solaris 10. :)

--
Bob Walker
http://www.randomness.org.uk/