Wish list [was: Social Meeting this Thursday, 8th June @ The Founders Arms]

Jonathan Peterson JPeterson at bmjgroup.com
Fri Jun 9 13:07:40 BST 2006

> Oh I don't disagree -- I spent inordinate amounts of time packaging
> software in a previous job, all to make up for basic deficiences in
> Solaris.  But the fact that it has to be done doesn't make it any less
> painful.

I always found that adding stuff to Solaris was far less annoying than
removing stuff from Linux. Hence my preference for Solaris. Especially if
I'm not paying for the rubbish low end sparc hardware.

I gave up Linux after working somewhare that only used Solaris. I've never
had a strong urge to go back, and no longer do enough hands on stuff to
really care one way or the other.

I'm sure there are lean Linux distros (feel free to tell me what) but
there's so much commerical pressure to use RH, owing to commercial app
support, it's all a bit wasted.

My hosting company sends out RH security alerts on a fortnightly basis. I
enjoy ignoring them. I know some hosting companies now offer automatic
online RH security updates, ala windows update service. Plus ca change...