Wish list [was: Social Meeting this Thursday, 8th June @ The Founders Arms]

ben fitzgerald ben at bfitzgerald.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 15:00:55 BST 2006

On Jun 09, 2006 01:07 PM, Jonathan Peterson <JPeterson at bmjgroup.com>
wrote:

> > Oh I don't disagree -- I spent inordinate amounts of time packaging
> > software in a previous job, all to make up for basic deficiences in
> > Solaris. But the fact that it has to be done doesn't make it any
> > less
> > painful.
> >

> I always found that adding stuff to Solaris was far less annoying than
> removing stuff from Linux. Hence my preference for Solaris. Especially
> if
> I'm not paying for the rubbish low end sparc hardware.

Removing s/w on linux with a decent package management usually isn't
much hassle (most times it's very easy). Same for solaris.

Creating the packages is quick on solaris too once you have the
necessary awk script to knock up a prototype file that doesn't suck and
some template install scripts.

> I'm sure there are lean Linux distros (feel free to tell me what) but
> there's so much commerical pressure to use RH, owing to commercial app
> support, it's all a bit wasted.

agree.

> My hosting company sends out RH security alerts on a fortnightly
> basis. I
> enjoy ignoring them. I know some hosting companies now offer automatic
> online RH security updates, ala windows update service. Plus ca
> change...

Every O/S has regular security releases:

http://192.18.108.60/clusters/9_Recommended.README

I'm not aware of a serious O/S that doesn't (I'd be interested if there
are suggestions of any, though).

Ben Fitzgerald.