Audio file editing software/skills

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Wed Jun 14 16:28:38 BST 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 6:34 AM, Jess Robinson wrote:

> I have a piece of self-recorded audio, (of a talk), that I'd like
> to remove some clicks/crackles from.. Has anyone got any software
> recommendations or appropriate advice?

/me .oO( Wow, those brain cells haven't fired in a while. )

If you want to do this yourself, you'll probably need more than
Audacity's drawing tool unless the clicks are simply flipped bits.
Proper decrackling is a gnarly little adaptive DSP task.  You can do
it with plugins (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c713), you
can do it with standalone units (http://www.mercenary.com/
weentwoch96d1.html), but it's generally not bundled with editors
because it's too esoteric and difficult to be part of a core distro.
For stuff that works with Audacity, I'm sure that you'll get good
suggestions if you post to the Audacity forum.  Back when I made my
living as an audio mastering engineer (c. 2000), there weren't any
free restoration tools out there, but maybe the situation has changed.

If this material is important to you, you might consider sending it
to a mastering studio somewhere.  Audio restoration is bread and
butter for mastering engineers.  Probably the most rewarding project
I ever worked on was a restoration gig: a Marcel Marceau CD that
needed drastic action.  (no lie: <http://xrl.us/nd6y>.)  Rates are
generally not exorbitant because the marketplace is extremely
competitive.  Which is one reason I'm no longer an audio mastering
engineer.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/