[JOB] BBC Perl Developer at White City

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Jul 14 18:14:40 BST 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 03:57:38PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On 7/14/06, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:51:56PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> >> I know the move from Kingswood Warren upset a lot of people, but I'm not
> >> sure even those affected would just go for 'the BBC sucks' as a blanket
> >> statement.
> >I'd go back to the BBC in a heart-beat.
> How would you do that? 'Cos I could never get it much below 50mins and
> a district to central line change.

That, young apprentice, you will learn later in your training.  For now,
learn patience.  And the quick tube interchanges.

> But anyway, yeah, the BBC's great and their employee/consultant
> selection procedure at least in NMT is solid so you end up working
> with smart, creative, and interesting folks. Or at least I did when I
> was there. The only problem is their infrastructure is (or was when I
> was there) change-managed to the point of appearing absurd and has
> been a factor in causing the BBC to lose frustrated but talented folk.
> That frustration is also I think partly due to unrealistic developer
> expectations however.

A lot of people who go to Auntie, at least in IT-ish jobs, seem to come
from much smaller companies.  They're not used to the regimentation that
is essential if you are to keep order in such a vast organisation.

--
David Cantrell | Benevolent Dictator Of The World

What profiteth a man, if he win a flame war, yet lose his cool?