[JOB] BBC Perl Developer at White City

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Fri Jul 14 15:57:38 BST 2006

On 7/14/06, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:51:56PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
>
> > I know the move from Kingswood Warren upset a lot of people, but I'm not
> > sure even those affected would just go for 'the BBC sucks' as a blanket
> > statement.
>
> I'd go back to the BBC in a heart-beat.

How would you do that? 'Cos I could never get it much below 50mins and
a district to central line change.

But anyway, yeah, the BBC's great and their employee/consultant
selection procedure at least in NMT is solid so you end up working
with smart, creative, and interesting folks. Or at least I did when I
was there. The only problem is their infrastructure is (or was when I
was there) change-managed to the point of appearing absurd and has
been a factor in causing the BBC to lose frustrated but talented folk.
That frustration is also I think partly due to unrealistic developer
expectations however.

It's a cool place and the stuff they do has the potential to impact
millions of people, and in some cases the very development of UK
internet infrastructure.

Paul