[JOB] BBC Perl Developer at White City

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 14 23:00:39 BST 2006

John Costello wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Richard Jolly wrote:
>>The problem I've had is that in a such a big organization you cat get
>>massive duplication of effort.

[snip]

> How is that different from any largish organization?

At Cray we had approx 3500 people and you could stop the top bod in
the corridor if you felt you needed to - an open door policy that
actually worked.

When we introduced code reviews, within three months the CPU
engineers had taken what we did for the OSI stack and applied it
to what they did. Pretty much everyone knew of every project or
crazy scheme[0] someone was trying out.

Of course the org chart was only 4 levels deep - anyone know
the head count at aunty and the depth of the tree.

Jacqui

[0] The M90 - a C90 with a (then) insane amount of memory was snapped up
by XXXXXXXX because they could do stress and thermal simulations for
an entire airframe skin. Sometimes crazy ideas pay off :-)