the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Sue Spence virtualsue at pennine.com
Sun Aug 6 09:45:11 BST 2006

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2006, at 17:40, Uri Guttman wrote:
>> [...] getting you brits to move
>> over here is problematic (though i did get a german and a canadian to
>> move to nyc!).
>
> Oh, now that one's easy. H1B appears to be code for "fuck this employee
> over", so anybody who is not completely wet behind the ears will give it
> a wide berth unless the deal is astoundingly better than what's on offer
> locally. And, well, London is still where it's at, even if it is a bit
> naff at the moment. I moved from Oop North, and you should see how grim
> it is there :)

It is?  I got H1B visas for a couple of co-workers when the company we
were working for changed hands and was split up.  They seemed grateful.
They made plenty of money, and one of them is still there 10 years
later. It was a lot of annoying work for me to get them those visas - if
I'd thought I was fucking them over, I wouldn't have bothered.