the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Sun Aug 6 09:21:07 BST 2006

On 8/6/06, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2006, at 17:40, Uri Guttman wrote:
> > [...] getting you brits to move
> > over here is problematic (though i did get a german and a canadian to
> > move to nyc!).
>
> Oh, now that one's easy. H1B appears to be code for "fuck this
> employee over", so anybody who is not completely wet behind the ears
> will give it a wide berth

This is total FUD...

> unless the deal is astoundingly better than
> what's on offer locally. And, well, London is still where it's at,
> even if it is a bit naff at the moment. I moved from Oop North, and
> you should see how grim it is there :)
>
> Short of a seven figure sum being paid into my bank account as a
> golden hello, I'm not sure I would ever consider moving to the USA.

...sourced from your obvious disinterest in working in the US.

The H1B visa is couched in so much anti-exploitation law that the
chances of a candidate being ripped off are pretty small. It is a visa
that's designed to protect the person working in the US from being
exploited by the employer, and it's actually quite a scary commitment
to make as an employer, not to mention a sometimes considerable sum of
cash going to immigration lawyer's country club fees.

Paul