the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Sun Aug 6 13:15:36 BST 2006

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 12:40:11PM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   NC> At least 3 people wanted me to apply for jobs and move to the US,
>   NC> but nothing or nowhere so exciting that I had a U-turn on my "I
>   NC> like London" policy.
>
> hey, i was one of those and i got your reluctance to move here very
> clearly! :) and that place actually has a branch in london but they
> don't do that sort of work and they want bodies on site with no pond
> gap.

Even dha would be unable to persuade me to move to New York City. A bad start
is that I don't know anyone there (except dha, plus I've met dha's mum)

And while the firm in question strictly wasn't a bank, it was a firm in the
financial services industry, so I believe that I couldn't work there long
term. I have no interest in in share or commodity prices, not being a day
trader. I found this out from my first job - it turns out that I have no
interest in writing code for seismic processing, because (surprisingly) I
have absolutely no out of work interest in processing seismic data. I
suspect that even a 5% desire is enough to keep me interested (so writing
word processors could well work) but there's a heck of a difference between
"none" and "a little".

With two big things against it, it was a non-starter.

Nicholas Clark