the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Sun Aug 6 14:08:46 BST 2006

  NC> At least 3 people wanted me to apply for jobs and move to the US,
  NC> but nothing or nowhere so exciting that I had a U-turn on my "I
  NC> like London" policy.
  >>
  >> hey, i was one of those and i got your reluctance to move here very
  >> clearly! :) and that place actually has a branch in london but they
  >> don't do that sort of work and they want bodies on site with no pond
  >> gap.

  NC> Even dha would be unable to persuade me to move to New York
  NC> City. A bad start is that I don't know anyone there (except dha,
  NC> plus I've met dha's mum)

dha is a great incentive to move to nyc!

  NC> And while the firm in question strictly wasn't a bank, it was a
  NC> firm in the financial services industry, so I believe that I
  NC> couldn't work there long term. I have no interest in in share or
  NC> commodity prices, not being a day trader. I found this out from my
  NC> first job - it turns out that I have no interest in writing code
  NC> for seismic processing, because (surprisingly) I have absolutely
  NC> no out of work interest in processing seismic data. I suspect that
  NC> even a 5% desire is enough to keep me interested (so writing word
  NC> processors could well work) but there's a heck of a difference
  NC> between "none" and "a little".

and if you had actually talked to me about the job you would have
learned it had nothing directly to do with any financial coding. it was
pure perl development for the complex build system they are creating for
their massive c++ applications (which do the financial stuff). none of
the 3 people i placed there are doing any financial related work. and
the lead of that group is also a brit (peter wainwright).

anyhow, it is a moot point since i filled all those slots just fine. i
thought you would have been a good fit and i still think so other than
your anti-nyc attitude! :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com