the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Sun Aug 6 15:17:47 BST 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 09:08:46AM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

> and if you had actually talked to me about the job you would have
> learned it had nothing directly to do with any financial coding. it was
> pure perl development for the complex build system they are creating for
> their massive c++ applications (which do the financial stuff). none of
> the 3 people i placed there are doing any financial related work. and
> the lead of that group is also a brit (peter wainwright).
>
> anyhow, it is a moot point since i filled all those slots just fine. i
> thought you would have been a good fit and i still think so other than
> your anti-nyc attitude! :)

The job may fit me, but I won't fit the job. The match has to be both ways.
I declined to talk because I would have been wasting your time.

My price is not money alone. My accountant friend says that the theory on
which companies are run assumes that everything can be expressed in terms
of monetary value. Staff who are interested in things other than just money
(which is all staff, to a greater or lesser degree) bugger up the theories.

Given the choice of being rich and unhappy in NYC, and poor but happy in
London where my friends and family are, I'll choose London.

Nicholas Clark