the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Sun Aug 6 20:03:17 BST 2006

  NC> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 09:08:46AM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
  >> and if you had actually talked to me about the job you would have
  >> learned it had nothing directly to do with any financial coding. it was
  >> pure perl development for the complex build system they are creating for
  >> their massive c++ applications (which do the financial stuff). none of
  >> the 3 people i placed there are doing any financial related work. and
  >> the lead of that group is also a brit (peter wainwright).
  >>
  >> anyhow, it is a moot point since i filled all those slots just fine. i
  >> thought you would have been a good fit and i still think so other than
  >> your anti-nyc attitude! :)

  NC> The job may fit me, but I won't fit the job. The match has to be
  NC> both ways.  I declined to talk because I would have been wasting
  NC> your time.

i waste my time in so many ways it wouldn't have bothered me. chatting
to you about why you didn't want the job would have been more
interesting than going to the dentist for sure! :)

  NC> My price is not money alone. My accountant friend says that the
  NC> theory on which companies are run assumes that everything can be
  NC> expressed in terms of monetary value. Staff who are interested in
  NC> things other than just money (which is all staff, to a greater or
  NC> lesser degree) bugger up the theories.

quality of life is a big issue with all jobs. do you want to move to
silly valley and make a fortune but have to commute 2 hours EACH way
because of housing? i won't move from boston any more than you won't
move from london. i just didn't know how strong your ties were there
when i approached you. i had seen you were looking and your perl skill
set and interests were a very good (not buzzword) match for their
needs.

  NC> Given the choice of being rich and unhappy in NYC, and poor but
  NC> happy in London where my friends and family are, I'll choose
  NC> London.

oh, i got that from you clearly. i just was saying that it wasn't a job
like you described where you just do boring financial or seismic coding
all day long. it is cutting edge perl stuff. and i respected your poor
but in london reasoning as you noticed i didn't hound you too much :).

thanx,

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com