the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Mon Aug 7 13:34:58 BST 2006

Adrian Howard wrote:
> The problem I've come across (and I admit this was a few years back
> now at the tail end of the boom) was that any Perl job advert that
> wasn't sprinkled with words like "senior" got deluged by CVs from
> people of the "I downloaded something from Matt's script archive once"
> quality. Not a problem I've had with, say, C/Java folk.
>
> I put it down to Perl being more approachable to many people so you
> get more unskilled people overestimating their competency.

Interesting, because when I've seen a posting with senior in the title I
have always assumed they want someone better than me. So I don't apply.

Having said that I have found that a lot of Perl positions seem to be of
the "must have X, Y, Z, A, B, C...". I'm pretty sure that the only
person who might have that list of skills is the guy who just left. My
attitude is that as long as I have Google and people to talk to then I
can probably do anything but I can't with conscience put down "X, Y, Z,
A, B, C..." on my cv.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 722222
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com