Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboards Rock/Suck (the "no good Perl jobs"/"ergo keyboards" myth)

Rafael Garcia-Suarez rgarciasuarez at
Wed Aug 9 09:57:43 BST 2006

On 09/08/06, Andy Wardley <abw at> wrote:
> Not sure I buy this line:
>    "Like on a piano, since there are no keys to look at when
>     typing, your brain will quickly adapt and memorize the key
>     positions."
> I've been playing piano (badly) since a kid and I still keep hitting the
>   wrong keys.  Also, it's a bit of a duff argument because people rarely
> sit down and play the piano all day, every day for a week.

As another piano player, I don't buy it either. On a piano there are
only twelve keys (modulo repeating it at several heights/eights) so
the layout is much easier to memorize than on a 105-key PC keyboard.
Oh, and you never play chords on a PC keyboard (unless you're using
emacs of course :)