Inverse Binary Rock-Suck Entanglement (the "no good Perl jobs"/"text editors" myth)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Aug 9 11:46:22 BST 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 11:04, dams wrote:
[...]
> Now, you are the first one complaining about this, which MUA do you
> use?

Mutt, Mail.app and/or trn, depending on where I am and what kind of
mail it is.

> I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't merge same messages. But I
> don' care that much removing the "reply all" default on my side.

It's hard to merge messages when they're arriving from different MTAs
at different times and are being stored in different mailboxes. I
assume you don't store all your mailing lists in your inbox?

Anybody who has a reasonable volume of mailing lists will usually
only read the lists when it's quiet and deal with their inbox as it
arrives. So a mail sent directly looks like a personal mail
soliciting a response. It's then annoying to have replied, only to
find the same message has also been posted to a list, in which the
reply would have been more appropriate.

Basically, Cc:ing responses to mailing list posts is bad manners
unless the specific list's policy and/or culture say otherwise.
(Ditto top-posting, HTML mail, thread-drift, write-only posting, etc,
etc...)