Inverse Binary Rock-Suck Entanglement (the "no good Perl jobs"/"text editors" myth)

dams dams at gentoo.org
Wed Aug 9 12:14:39 BST 2006

Le Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:46:22 +0100,
Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> a écrit :

> On 9 Aug 2006, at 11:04, dams wrote:
> [...]
> > Now, you are the first one complaining about this, which MUA do you
> > use?
>
> Mutt, Mail.app and/or trn, depending on where I am and what kind of
> mail it is.
>
> > I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't merge same messages. But I
> > don' care that much removing the "reply all" default on my side.
>
> It's hard to merge messages when they're arriving from different
> MTAs at different times and are being stored in different mailboxes.
> I assume you don't store all your mailing lists in your inbox?

Well, I don't think I have a huge volume of mails, but I have currently
20000 mails in various mailing lists, and it works well.

I use an IMAP4 account on a remote server, which gathers and filters
the mails from 4 email adresses, using procmail rules and spamassassin.
I then access the mails with sylpheed-claws, with 4 mail accounts
configured, with clever rules to detect which one to activate.

> Anybody who has a reasonable volume of mailing lists will usually
> only read the lists when it's quiet and deal with their inbox as it
> arrives. So a mail sent directly looks like a personal mail
> soliciting a response. It's then annoying to have replied, only to
> find the same message has also been posted to a list, in which the
> reply would have been more appropriate.

Because the messages are merged, they are stored only in the mailing
list directory. So they don't pop up in my personal directory.

> Basically, Cc:ing responses to mailing list posts is bad manners
> unless the specific list's policy and/or culture say otherwise.
> (Ditto top-posting, HTML mail, thread-drift, write-only posting,
> etc, etc...)

OK, I can understand that. I'll change my settings.

dams