the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Nicholas Clark nick at
Wed Aug 9 16:27:02 BST 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 04:31:45PM +0200, Hildo Biersma wrote:

> The problem we're seeming to have is that the resumes of the good perl
> candidates never get through HR, as our HR monkeys are trained to look
> for things like "CS degree", "Java experience" etc, and toss out resumes
> that don't have that.  So most of the hiring of the techie teams I work
> is not from resumes that we get out of the cold (only HR sees those),
> but through friends of friends, word of mouth, etc.

And sometimes it seems that HR departments actively have policies that
prevent them from using to advertise their vacancies.

(Not thinking about 2 large Perl-using companies in London in particular)

Nicholas Clark