the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Wed Aug 9 17:02:11 BST 2006

  NC> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 04:31:45PM +0200, Hildo Biersma wrote:
  >> The problem we're seeming to have is that the resumes of the good perl
  >> candidates never get through HR, as our HR monkeys are trained to look
  >> for things like "CS degree", "Java experience" etc, and toss out resumes
  >> that don't have that.  So most of the hiring of the techie teams I work
  >> is not from resumes that we get out of the cold (only HR sees those),
  >> but through friends of friends, word of mouth, etc.

  NC> And sometimes it seems that HR departments actively have policies that
  NC> prevent them from using jobs.perl.org to advertise their vacancies.

  NC> (Not thinking about 2 large Perl-using companies in London in particular)

what would those policies be? why would a free, easy to use list be not
allowed but paying large sums to agencies or monster or such be ok? i
know corps have all sorts of bugs up their butt about what external
resources to use but that restriction is among the least defensible
IMO. but i am biased of course as the perl jobs list is my baby! :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com