Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fwd:_Perl_Developer, _Birmingham_up_to_=A335k-_PERMANENT?=

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Aug 10 14:51:43 BST 2006

On 10 Aug 2006, at 14:19, Daniel Barlow wrote:
[...]
> It surely can't just be shorthand for "we're not organised enough to
> have prepared anything for your arrival", after all.

All employers are like that to some extent. I guess that in most
cases it's because they're not regularly hiring and firing staff and
so they're just as lost as you are as to where to start.

The way to determine how organised an employer is is whether they've
at least managed to find you a desk, computer and phone, and perhaps
manage to point you at the intranet to get a feel for the culture, or
whether your arrival on the first day is a complete surprise to them
and they're having to leg it over to IKEA.