the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Ovid publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 12:18:20 BST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Pete Sergeant <pete at clueball.com>

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:46:07PM +0100, Jacqui Caren wrote:
> > leigh.mathieson at pro-quest.co.uk.
>
> Wasn't this the guy up on  MAnchester who spammed a whole bunch of
> people from CPAN? I've been avoiding him for just this reason

He's the guy who got me my current job and he was very patient and helpful.  He did ask me some fairly easy questions that a Perl newbie would fail on but most should probably know.

As for the spamming thing, he really does regret doing that and he won't be doing it again.  For some reason, he honestly thought that a targetted spam would be less offensive.  I'm not defending him on this point, but he's a real, live, honest-to-goodness human being who makes mistakes just the rest of us do.  (I've a lot of sympathy for those who make mistakes since I make so many of them myself).

Cheers,
Ovid
-- Buy the book -- http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/
Perl and CGI -- http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/cgi_course/