Noise cancelling headphones - Re: The Newly Inaugurated London.pm "Most In Need of Positivity" Award

Paul Golds paul.golds at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 16:55:08 BST 2006

On 8/11/06, andrew Black <andrew-li at black1.org.uk> wrote:
> danny staple wrote:
> > Simple solution, buy some really decent noise cancelling headphones,
> > and listen to whatever you like on a computer or music player device,
> > turned up so you cant hear the radio.
>
> Do they work - or rather more specifically does anyone have
> recommendations for ones that work.
> I tried some cheapo ones and to be honest think the feature was cosmetic.

I use the portable Sennheiser PXC250 noise-cancelling headphones,
which seem to work well at cutting out 'drone' noises such as computer
fans and the rumbling of the underground but doesn't really cut out
things such as speech as much.  I have at times found myself wearing
these on a train without bothering to plug them into anything just in
order to cut down on some background noise so I could read more
easily.

Did take a while to adjust to wearing them though, felt oddly
uncomfortable for the first few hours as if there was a change in air
pressure, but after that they've worked nicely.