Noise cancelling headphones - Re: The Newly Inaugurated London.pm "Most In Need of Positivity" Award

Zach Vonler zvonler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 17:06:25 BST 2006

On 8/11/06, andrew Black <andrew-li at black1.org.uk> wrote:
> danny staple wrote:
> > Simple solution, buy some really decent noise cancelling headphones,
> > and listen to whatever you like on a computer or music player device,
> > turned up so you cant hear the radio.
>
> Do they work - or rather more specifically does anyone have
> recommendations for ones that work.
> I tried some cheapo ones and to be honest think the feature was cosmetic.

I have a set of these, considered "passive noise-cancelling":

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/etymotic-er-4p.php

and find that they do an excellent job of blocking outside noise while
operating at a very reasonable volume.  They are not good for
activity, though, because one of the results of sealing the ear canal
is that footsteps resonate in the skull.

I have used them on several plane flights, and they do a good job of
blocking out the engine drone.

Later,
Zach