Music To Code To (was "Most In Need of Positivity" Award)

Chris Benson chrisb at
Fri Aug 11 22:52:50 BST 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 07:53:32PM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
> I've just set up mt-daapd(.org) to run an "iTunes Server" off my
> Linux box. It's working fine, very fine in fact.  Except that you
> can't party shuffle or create playlists with songs from a remote
> server (unless I've missed a trick).  Anyone got any clues as to
> how to feed iTunes a dynamically generated playlist?

I'm not sure what an "iTunes Server" does, but the SO & I are *very* happy
with our SlimServer from
which apart from driving their own SqueezeBox hardware:
- drives a virtual SqueezeBox written in Java
- ... and anything else that will stream a playlist
- has some sort of iTunes integration (I've not investigated)
- and front-ends a lot of internet radio channels
- and runs on anything with a disk, network and Perl, including Snap NAS
- and is a free download

</unprovoked gushing> :-)
Chris Benson