Perl Vacancy

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Wed Aug 16 11:00:52 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 09:35, Denny de la Haye wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 08:57 +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:
> > I, as the shadowy alias behind the leader at london.pm.org email
> > address, get quite a lot of mail from recruiters asking if its ok to
> > post jobs or if I knew anyone.
> >
> > My big dilemma is not whether we'll overwhelm the list with posts from
> > recruiters but that I'll be embarassed by the reaction of the list to
> > the post.
>
> As I've said on IRC a few times; can I suggest that we drop the rule
> about no posting by recruiters?  Presently the only objection that
> anyone raises when it happens is that it's against the rules, not that
> they actually mind the posts.  Perhaps dropping the rule and seeing if
> we become 'overwhelmed' would be a worthwhile experiment.

I'm with The Leader on this one, mediating recruiters posts through
leader@ or london.pm-admin@ mitigates the all shrieking, all dancing
faeces flinging that seems to happen nearly every time in the past when
an innocent recruiter should deign to ask if anyone was interested in a
role they are trying to fill.  I seem to recall this happening seven or
eight years ago so it's not just that we seem to have got more vocal
monkeys nowadays.  I'm not actually sure that it's recruiters per-se I
think it is probably non-geek outsiders who cop the ire of the simians,
but other non-geeks posting on this list are probably doing it for some
form of entertainment (I know I do.)  It's no great hardship for myself
or Simon for example to have to forward the recruiters messages and
rather than thinking we are all a bunch of sociopaths the recruiter gets
the better impression that is engendered by any responses they might get
from people who are genuinely interested.

/J\