[OT] Mac Office Software

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Aug 23 11:40:54 BST 2006

On 23 Aug 2006, at 11:29, Dave Cross wrote:
[...]
> So what do other people use on their Macs?

strings blah.doc ?

> Is there a decent free (or even cheap) office suite for the Mac? Or
> do I just have to bite the bullet and buy MS Office?

Unlike the rest of the cretin developers at Microsoft, their Mac
developers actually appear to posess Clue. So if you find you do
actually need to do anything more with Word documents than just read
those that have been emailed to you, it might be worth buying or
otherwise acquiring a copy.

> Any advice from the iGeeks would be much appreciated.

I prefer writing documentation in LaTeX using Aquamacs Emacs, but I'm
perverse like that.

> [1] And I must say that OSX 10.4 is a _lot_ nicer than the 10.2.8
> or whatever we were running on Piers' old Powerbook. Still not as
> nice as Gnome (IMHO), but I could get used to it.

... and I find GNOME and KDE to be horribly crufty in their attempt
to clone the Windows look and feel. If I want Windows, I know where I
can find it.

These days, I relegate Linux to the server where it does a fine job
so long as X11 gets nowhere near it.